Invisalign for Overcrowding - Los Algodones, Mexico
Overcrowding refers to an oral condition in which there's not enough room for the teeth to fit properly within the mouth. Overcrowding may be caused by having too many teeth or from other issues, like jaw size or tooth size. Whatever the cause, overcrowding can make the teeth crooked or overlap one another, either of which can increase the risk of gum disease and tooth decay. At the Cosmetic Dentistry & Implant Center, Dr. Jose Valenzuela, Jr. offers Invisalign® to discretely improve alignment issues, including overcrowding, and enhance the smile. To find out if Invisalign® for overcrowding is right for you, contact our Los Algodones, Mexico practice for your Invisalign® consultation.
Can Invisalign® Treat Overcrowding?
Invisalign® can be used to treat overcrowded teeth if the teeth and degree of overcrowding fit into certain criteria. If the teeth are severely overcrowded or other occlusal issues are present, Invisalign® may not be the right option. Instead, traditional orthodontics may be the best solution.
Treating Overcrowding with Invisalign®
Invisalign® uses a series of clear, inconspicuous aligners to gradually improve the alignment of the teeth and can help many people who suffer from overcrowding achieve a beautiful, flawless smile without the need for traditional orthodontics. In order to treat overcrowding with Invisalign®, there are some additional steps that may be required. These additional steps may include:
- Tooth extraction may be necessary: In some cases, tooth extraction may be necessary when treating overcrowding with Invisalign®. This will free up some room within the jaw for the teeth to shift into proper alignment. If one or more teeth must be extracted, they will be removed before Invisalign® treatment begins.
- The teeth may be shaved: Alternatively, space may be made within the mouth by shaving the sides of some teeth. When the teeth are shaved, a process called “interproximal reduction,” a small amount of enamel is removed from the sides of the teeth. This eliminates the need for tooth extraction.
- Attachments may need to be combined with Invisalign®: In some cases of overcrowding, special attachments may be needed. These attachments are tooth-colored pieces of plastic that are applied to several teeth to provide extra grip for the Invisalign® aligners to attach to. Attachments also help keep pressure on the teeth to encourage them to move in the desired direction.
- Expanders may be needed: Orthodontic expanders may be necessary before Invisalign® treatment can begin. Expanders are small appliances that are attached to the teeth to help widen the palate and create more room for overcrowded teeth.
- Rubber bands may be necessary: Some patients with overcrowding will need to have rubber bands placed on their back teeth in order to achieve a straight smile with Invisalign®.
Is Invisalign® Right for You?
If your teeth are overcrowded or you suffer from other alignment issues, Invisalign® may be right for you. To find out if you're a candidate for Invisalign®, we welcome you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Valenzuela.